INTRODUCTION TO ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
This article is about the introduction to artificial intelligence and it is revolutionising our world with its different aspects and advancements.
Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
Nowadays technology is booming on every day basis and we encounter different types of technologies in our daily routines and tasks as well.
One of the latest technology in the field of computer science is Artificial Intelligence also known as AI which is revolutionary in nature as it involves working with making machines intelligent by applying different algorithms to it so that the machines or systems using AI are able to perform operations that are similar to a human intelligence replica such as speech recognition, decision making, translation of languages and visual perception.
AI is one of the most intriguing and expandable areas of Computer Science which promises a bright future in solving problems that are essential for human efficiency and ease.
Technical Definition of AI
Artificial Intelligence contains two words which is ‘Artificial’ means ‘something which isn’t natural or is created by a human’ and ‘Intelligence’ means ‘the ability to think on a genius level’.
So according to the textbook definition of AI in wikipedia:
Leading AI textbooks define the field as the study of “intelligent agents”: any device that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chance of successfully achieving its goals. Colloquially, the term “artificial intelligence” is often used to describe machines (or computers) that mimic “cognitive” functions that humans associate with the human mind, such as “learning” and “problem solving”
In the past, a few programs were created to do tasks which were equivalent to human intelligence but then those programs didn’t have the ability or algorithm to work on their own, that is why AI comes in play and is in power because of its intelligence to work around with algorithms.
Why do we need Artificial Intelligence?
So far we have learned about the introduction to Artificial Intelligence, now before we dive deeper into what AI is and how important it is for the future, it is essential to understand the reasons as to why need it in the first place? Below are the main reasons to learn AI:
- One of the most important aspects of AI is that it can solve real world problems with complete control and efficiency related to economics, health or even engineering.
- You can create your own personal assistant who can keep track of your schedule, food habits and even can be your manager like Siri or Google Assistant.
- You can create Robots which can be a replica of a human in places where human presence is at risk such as battlefields.
- You can create new machines or new robots using AI as well like self driving cars.
Aspirations in Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence can be used to build intelligent systems that can be put to use in different field areas like Linguistics, Biology, Mathematics, Engineering and Computer Science itself. The main aspiration of data scientists or AI beginners would be to develop functions in AI that are related to human intelligence and the aspects of it like reasoning, decision making, learning or solving problems.
Importance of Artificial Intelligence
Following are the main important factors of using AI:
- AI emphasizes Repetitive Learning through data intelligently, frequently and reliably without getting tired.
- AI easily adapts algorithms from the data to make decisions. As an algorithm is a ‘trigger generator’ or a predictor, it can teach to make choices and recommendations itself.
- AI focuses on deep learning which includes a lot of layers. It can work with a hefty amount of data to encourage deep learning models as they can then learn straight away from the information given. In short, the more data you pour in, the more accurate those models become.
Advantages of AI
AI is full of lucrative options, a few are mentioned here:
- AI has high precision power and less debugging.
- Systems built on AI have high speed and ability to make decisions quickly, a good of that would be of the Deep Blue computer created by IBM which defeated Garry Kasparov (World Chess Champion).
- Because of its high accuracy power, AI machines are reliable and you can perform the same action with the same precision over and over again.
- AI can be very useful in areas where humans might suffer a lot, endangering their lives such as battlefields, extreme sports and deep diving (surfing, etc)
Disadvantages of AI
With the benefits of AI, comes some disadvantages as well that we must keep in mind during the creation of AI systems. Below are the disadvantages of AI:
- The equipment and programming prerequisite of AI is exorbitant as it requires heaps of support to meet current world necessities.
- Even we are making more brilliant machines with AI, yet at the same time they can’t work out of the routine, as the robot will just do that work for which they are prepared for.
- AI machines can be an exceptional entertainer, yet at the same time it doesn’t have an emotional side to it so it can’t make any sort of enthusiastic connection with humans, and may at some point be destructive for clients if the best possible consideration isn’t taken.
- With the addition of innovation, individuals are getting addicted to gadgets and henceforth they are losing their psychological abilities.
- As people are so innovative and can envision some new thoughts yet at the same time AI machines can’t beat this intensity of human knowledge and can’t be creative and empathetic.